My least favourite part of Christmas is all the manipulation that adults engage in. The good news is, it’s not compulsory! You can have an even better Christmas without threatening the children in your life.
Still not convinced? Here’s some more things to think about…
20 Reasons to Scrap the Naughty List
1. You can’t teach people to be nice by being mean to them.
3. Threatening people isn’t a nice thing to do.
4. It’s not in the spirit of Christmas.
5. It’s manipulative.
6. You don’t have to move an elf around every day.
7. You don’t have to think of more tricks to control children for the other 11 months of the year.
8. You’re not likely to follow through with it anyway, further damaging your credibility.
9. Obedience is not a great goal.
10. It kills intrinsic motivation.
11. It teaches children Christmas is all about presents.
12. Policing behaviour is exhausting.
13. If you don’t like being judged, you should stop judging children.
14. It’s not true.
15. Real gifts don’t come with expectations.
16. You can have an authentic relationship with your kids instead.
17. It damages connection.
18. Modeling is a more effective way to encourage appropriate behaviour.
19. Rewards are not a positive thing.
20. You want your children to know they are loved unconditionally.
The manipulation aspect of the Christmas season is something we can all do without. You don’t have to be mean at Christmas.
Be merry instead!